Detroit Lions NFL salary cap update ahead of free agency
The Detroit Lions announced several new contract signings this week.
As a result, the picture is slightly clearer when it comes to the salary cap space the team will have to spend over the next two weeks.
The NFL has announced that the 2022 salary cap for league teams will be $208,200,000. The Lions will add approximately $9.5 million in working capital and cap adjustments.
That brings the total to $217,680,572 as a starting point that GM Brad Holmes can work with.
As has been constantly explained, the salary cap figures are fluid and can change on a daily basis.
Now here we come to our figure of Lions having around $22 million in cap space.
Recommended Lions Items
- The release of Trey Flowers will add $10.4 million in cap space to the team.
- The top 51 contracts on the current Lions roster cost the team an estimated $183,720,892.
- Josh Reynolds’ 2022 cap estimate will be $3.5 million.
- The Lions re-signed Ryan McCollum and Rashod Berry, which would cost the team $1-2 million in total cap space.
- It will likely cost the team $16 million to sign their 2022 draft class.
Here’s how we ended up calculating the calculations associated with the cap (in millions):
- 217+10.4 = 227.4
- 183.7+3.5+2+16 = 205.2
Join the AllLions Community
Become an AllLions premium member, which gives you access to all our premium content and gives you a FREE subscription to Sports Illustrated! Click on the link below to find out more.
BECOME A MEMBER