The Word of Sport web site has been designed to be as accessible as possible. However, we recognise that accessibility is a subjective experience and therefore we’d like to encourage you to let us know if you encounter any problems using the site. We will take action and respond as quickly as we can.
In addition, the latest best practice techniques have also been used where appropriate. Best practice is important as the accessible design community is constantly evolving better solutions to accessibility problems.
Why Design For Accessibility?
Accessible design benefits all users not merely disabled ones. Accessible design means that web sites are easier to use in every respect and better for search engines to index – everyone benefits from accessible web sites.
It is a popular misconception that web accessibility is just about disabled users such as the visually impaired. Not true! It also includes those with equaly dibilitating conditions such as dyslexia, colour blindness, and mobility / dexterity impairment caused by conditions like arthritis.
UK’s Office for National Statistics Labour Force Survey, Winter 2004 suggests that as many as 20% of the working age population have disabilities that accessible web design can help.
Accessibility and The Law
All web sites based in the UK are required to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that the content is accessible according the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
If you have specific accessibility needs that are not met by this web site please contact us outlining the problem you faced, the page which caused it and the web browser or user agent that you are using and we will do our best to respond rapidly.
- Disability Rights Commission
- Information and help towards ‘a society where all disabled people can participate fully as equal citizens’.
- Advice and information on all aspects making technology accessible for people with a disability or limiting condition.
- Labour Force Survey relating to accessibility, 2004
- Individual countries’ policies and legislation relating to web accessibility
- Article on Accessibility Design Benefits from Grow Collective