You are in: Home / Harold Larwood
- By Duncan Hamilton
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award Winner 2009
- Paperback (Hardback)
- In print, usually dispatched within 3-4 days.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 29th Apr 2010
- ISBN: 1849162077
- Pages: 400
- Size: 198mm x 132mm
From the Publisher:
Harold Larwood is an England cricketing legend. During the MCC's notorious 1932-3 Ashes tour of Australia, his 'Bodyline' bowling left Australia's batsmen bruised and battered, halved the batting average of the great Don Bradman - and gave England a 4-1 series victory. But the diplomatic row that followed brought Anglo-Australian relations to the brink of collapse.
Larwood was used as a scapegoat by the MCC, which demanded he apologise for bowling Bodyline. Arguing that he had simply obeyed the instructions of his captain, Douglas Jardine, Larwood refused. He never played for England again.
The Bodyline saga has been told before, but Larwood's story has not. Using materials provided by the fast bowler's family, Duncan Hamilton has created an intimate and compelling portrait of Larwood's life: from his mining village upbringing, through the trauma of 1932-3 and its bitter aftermath, to his emigration to Australia, where he and his family found happiness. A moving recreation of the triumph, betrayal and redemption of a working-class hero, Harold Larwood will enthral not only cricket fans, but all those who relish biographical writing of the highest quality.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- Harold Larwood (paperback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
Yeovil Town F.C. have always been a name to be feared in the F.A Cup and are the most prolific 'Giantkillers' knocking out a record 20 League teams during their time as a Non-League club.
Submitted by: sebytfc