You are in: Home / The Last Amateurs
The Last Amateurs
To Hell and Back With The Cambridge Boat Crew
- By Mark De Rond
- Paperback (Hardback)
- In print, usually dispatched within 5-7 days.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 5th Mar 2009
- ISBN: 1848310455
- Pages: 256
- Size: 198mm x 129mm
From the Publisher:
As the Cambridge University Boat Club prepared for the 2007 Boat Race, Mark de Rond - a Cambridge don and fellow of Darwin College - spent a year living the blood, sweat and tears of the 39 students risking all for a chance to challenge Oxford. "The Last Amateurs" is de Rond's intense and deeply personal account of freezing early-morning training sessions, booze-fueled crew 'formals', the tenderness of camaraderie, the pain of self-doubt, and the tantrums and testosterone of crew members, each set on becoming a Cambridge 'Blue'. So what does it take to row in a Boat Race? In this thrilling book, de Rond delves into the depths of what it means to be a man and the primeval desire to compete.
Told chronologically and driven by the pursuit of the final victory, the result is a breathtaking portrait of a deeply historical race marked by sharp contrasts - and one in which every sports person will recognize at least a little of themselves.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- The Last Amateurs (paperback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
Two England players from Stoke City FC, Goalkeeper William Rowley and right back Thomas Clare made their international debut against Ireland in Liverpool on March 2, 1889 winning 6-1.
Submitted by: Jon