You are in: Home / Holding Court
- By Christopher Gorringe
- In print, usually dispatched within 3-4 days.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 4th Jun 2009
- ISBN: 1846055083
- Pages: 272
- Size: 241mm x 158mm
From the Publisher:
Wimbledon is a paradox. While outwardly appearing the quintessential English lawn tennis club, as much a part of being British as strawberries and cream or picnics in the park, it is in fact the largest annual outside broadcast operation in the world and a multi-million pound commercial enterprise. It is remarkably, an enterprise that generates its profit in just two weeks of the year.
It is also something we do rather well. Which other tennis tournament in the world can describe itself as simply, 'The Championships' - Chris Gorringe is the man who, for twenty-six years, made it all happen. The former chief executive, fondly referred to as 'Clockwork Gorringe', has dealt with everything from the 1973 players' boycott, the McEnroe tantrums, and Middle Sunday, to the demands for equal prize money and the Olympic bid.
He has witnessed some of the greatest names in the sport producing some of their most dazzling performances - from Navratilova to the Williams sisters, from Borg to Federer - while assisting with the requirements of and demands on today's high-profile professional tennis players. During his tenure, revenue increased from GBP58,000 in his first year, to GBP27m in his last. In "Holding Court", he charts the unique journey of one of the country's most venerable establishments, where decisions are still made through a committee system dating back to 1868, into the modern era.
For anyone who has ever been captivated by McEnroe v Borg, soaked up the atmosphere in Aorangi Park, or been intrigued by what goes on behind the scenes at SW19, "Holding Court" is a must-read. Wimbledon is a national institution. When play starts on the first Monday, millions of followers tune in.
This book is for them.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- Holding Court (hardback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
The fact that this website knocks five years off my age when I enter the details!
Submitted by: MartinCloake