You are in: Home / The Day the Whale Came
The Day the Whale Came
- By Lynne Cox
- Paperback (Hardback)
- In print, usually dispatched within 3-4 days.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 19th Sep 2007
- ISBN: 0753821419
- Pages: 128
- Size: 198mm x 129mm
From the Publisher:
The real-life story of how the world's most famous female long-distance swimmer encountered a grey whale separated from its mother - and how she helped to reunite them. Lynne Cox is the author of 'Swimming to Antarctica', a memoir of her life as a swimmer. From the age of fourteen she has been breaking records for long-distance swimming, culminating in a mile-long swim in Antarctica, in zero degree-temperature water.
When Lynne was 17, and on a training swim off the California mainland, she found herself swimming with a grey whale that had lost its mother. For the next seven hours, she swam with the whale - through pods of dolphin, and schools of sun-fish, between the pilings of a pier, and out to the base of an oil-rig, diving down as deeply as Lynne was able to, losing sight of the whale for minutes only to have it return and listen to its strange clicking and singing - in an increasingly desperate attempt to locate its mother. The whale was too young to survive by itself, and Lynne's account of the hours she spent swimming with it, and of the moment when they finally found its mother is remarkable.
Heartwarming, beautifully-written, atmospheric and sparkling with descriptions of the ocean and the behavior of the magnificent creatures that live in it, 'The Day the Whale Came' is an unforgettable story of human resilience and natural wonder.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- The Day the Whale Came (paperback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
"Huddersfield Town have won the Football League more times than Notts (SIC) Forest, Derby & Leicester City. In fact they've won it as many times as the East Midland giants (?) put together"
Submitted by: andyeastleake