You are in: Home / A Tenner and a Box of Kippers
A Tenner and a Box of Kippers
The Story of Keith Houchen
- By Jonathan Strange
- In print, usually dispatched within 5-7 days.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 30th Nov 2006
- ISBN: 0752437968
- Pages: 278
- Size: 235mm x 165mm
From the Publisher:
Keith Houchen's name is synonymous with the FA Cup. His diving header for Coventry City in 1987, when the Sky Blues beat Tottenham Hotspur in one of the great cup finals, ranks among the most spectacular goals ever scored at Wembley. This, and his four other goals during that cup run, confirmed the Roy of the Rovers tag Houchen earned two years before when his last-minute penalty for York City knocked out Arsenal.
Houchen's professional career started and ended with Hartlepool United, where players sometimes legged it to the bank to avoid their pay cheques bouncing. Between scoring 150 Football League goals for Hartlepool, Orient, York, Scunthorpe, Coventry and Port Vale, Houchen reached his peak while playing in Edinburgh and Europe for Hibernian.
Interspersed with Houchen's own recollections, this book relives his triumphs at York, Coventry and Hibernian within the story of his whole career. It is a tale of mostly unfashionable clubs, a growing rift with referees and the frustration of managing Hartlepool. Above all, it is the story of a proud professional and a twenty-year journey through England and Scotland.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- A Tenner and a Box of Kippers (paperback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
"Huddersfield Town have won the Football League more times than Notts (SIC) Forest, Derby & Leicester City. In fact they've won it as many times as the East Midland giants (?) put together"
Submitted by: andyeastleake