You are in: Home / The Junction Boys
The Junction Boys
How Ten Days in Hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion Team
- By Jim Dent
- Out of print. Try our second hand search facility.
- Tagged with:
- Reviewed by 1 member with an average rating of out of 5 stars. Login or join us to post the first review!
- Published: 1st Sep 1999
- ISBN: 0312192932
- Pages: 290
From the Publisher:
The legendary Paul Bear Bryant is recognized nationwide as one of the greatest coaches ever. So why did he always cite his 1-9 A&M team of 1954 as his favorite? This is the story of a remarkable team - and the beginning of the legend.
The Junction Boys tells the story of Coach Paul Bear Bryant's legendary training camp in the small town of Junction, Texas. In a move that many consider the salvation of the Texas A&M football program, Coach Bryant put 115 players through the most grueling practices ever imagined. Only a handful of players survived the entire 10 days, but they braved the intense heat of the Texas sun and the burning passion of their coach, and turned a floundering team into one of the nation's best. The Junction Boys is more than just a story of tough practices without water breaks. An extraordinary fellowship was forged from the mind-numbing pain. The thirty-five survivors bonded together like no other team in America. They profited from the Junction experience; the knowledge they took back with them to College Station, about themselves and what they were capable of, would be used for the rest of their lives.
In vivid and powerful images reminiscent of Friday Night Lights, Hoosiers, and The Last Picture Show, these young men and their driven coach come to life. The Junction Boys contains all the hallmarks of a classic sports story, and it combines America's love of college football with an extraordinary story of perseverance and triumph.
Member Reviews and Ratings
Junction Boys is brilliant! Bear Bryant achieved legendary status as Head Coach of Alabama, but he first turned around the A&M Aggies. How he did it would inspire lawsuits in today's America, but makes for an inspirational read. Running players into the ground, with one so scared of letting Bryant down that he played with a broken back...
Well worth a read. Recommended!
Posted on 15th Dec 2006 at 23:33:10 GMT.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- The Junction Boys (hardback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
Vistited New Yankee stadium last year and saw them
play the Phillies
Submitted by: gazsky