You are in: Home / The Bicycle Book
The Bicycle Book
- By Bella Bathurst
- Not yet published. You can order now and we will dispatch as soon as it is available.
- Tagged with:
- Published: 31st Mar 2011
- ISBN: 0007305885
- Pages: 356
- Size: 222mm x 141mm
From the Publisher:
A rip-roaring narrative celebration of the 21st century's great transport success story: the bicycle. Millions of us now cycle, some obsessively, and this glorious concoction of history, anecdote, adventure and lycra-clad pedalling is the perfect read for two-wheelers of all kinds. Two wheels.
A frame. Two pedals. What could be simpler than a bicycle? And yet the bike -- old, and cheap, and slightly comic -- continues to inspire a passionate following.
Since the millennium its use in Britain has doubled, and then doubled again. Thousands now cycle to work, and more take it up every day. In trial after trial, it is the bike which reaches its urban destination faster than the car, the bus, the underground or the pedestrian.
Self-reliant and straightforward, cycling has recycled itself. It is an antiquated idea, and its time has finally come. But what is it about the bicycle that so enchants us? And why do its devotees become so obsessed with it?Acclaimed and prize-winning author Bella Bathurst takes us on a journey through cycling's best stories and strangest incarnations, from the bicycle as weapon of twentieth-century warfare to the secret life of couriers and the alchemy of framebuilding.
With a cast of characters including the woman who watercycled across the Channel, the man who raced India's Deccan Queen train and several of today's top cyclists, she offers us a brilliantly engaging portrait of cycling's past, present and world-conquering future. The result is a story of passion and obsession, of exultation, endeavour, and risk. Above all, it is the story of partnership between man and machine, perfectly balanced -- a story of love and souplesse.
- Super Bowl XLVI Official Programs - Stadium Edition
- The Cricket Society Book of the Year Award 2011
- Ricky Villa Autobiography "And Still Ricky Villa" Signed Copies
- The Ice Hockey Annual 2010-11
- Alex Stepney Tooting Common To The Stretford End Signed Copies
- William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2010: The Shortlist
- Lindy's Baseball Preview 2011
- Sporting News College Football 2010 Preview
- Sporting News Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Athlon Sports Pro Football 2010 Preview
- Yahoo! Sports and Pro Football Weekly 2010 NFL Preview
- Phil Steele's College Football Preview 2010
- The Bicycle Book (hardback)
Spend more than £15.00 and get free UK delivery!
Read the latest member reviews, see popular titles and today’s featured member.
As a member you can post your own book reviews, get first dibs on signed books and special offers. Membership is free and comes with 10% off your first order!
It's A Fact!
Lord Byron's daughter invented the computer. General knowledge.
Submitted by: kevd11